Traveling to Hong Kong is just like fulfilling your childhood dream and that’s to visit the happiest place on Earth, Disneyland. Yes! Dreams do come true! So, here’s my detailed itinerary, expenses and travel guide for those first time travelers.
1. No VISA required – Philippines passport holders can enter Hong Kong & Macau visa free and can stay for a maximum of 30 days. Make sure that your passport has at least 6 months validity left.
2. There are several airlines fly directly in Hongkong-Macau – Air Asia, Cebu Pacific and Philippine Airlines. To score a cheap flight ticket, make sure to turn on your notification for SEAT SALE or promos.
3. Prepare all your travel documents. Make sure to have a copy of your passport because some of the hotels requires it before check in.
4. Make a reservation of your accommodation ahead of time, at least a month before. Find the lowest price in Booking, AirBnb, Agoda.
5. To stay connected, purchase SimCard via Klook app before your travel date.
6. Hong Kong uses Hong Kong Dollar (HKD) as currency. 1 HKD = 6.49 PHP while Macau uses Macanese Pataca (MOP) as currency. 1 MOP = 6.31 PHP. You can use HKD in Macau but MOP cannot be used in Hong Kong as currency. Change your Peso to Dollar here in the Philippine for better rate conversion.
HOW TO GET AROUND
MTR is the most convenient transport system. Octopus Card is the most important thing that you need to have. It is smartcard used in Hongkong instead of money. It costs HKD 150 for adults and HKD 100 for kids. It comes with refundable HKD 50 deposit. You can use the card for public transport, dining, entertainment, shopping and many more. If you book via Klook, redeem your Octopus card in HK International Airport arrivals A13 from 7:00am-11:00pm only.
Buses are the main transportation for both local and travellers. Fare is fixed HKD 6 or MOP 6 for every destination. You have to pay exact money. Make sure to download the Citymapper and Macau Easy Go application for your travel guide.
WHERE TO STAY
There are a lot of hotels and guest rooms in Hong Kong. We stayed in Mirador Mansion, Nathan Road, TST. Our place is close to convenient stores, great restaurants and MTR station. It costs 3023PHP/4days good for 2pax.
In Macau, we stay in Zayne Homestay. It costs 2000PHP/night good for 2pax.
AIRPORT TO TSI SHAM TSUI
1. In the airport, follow the signs that will lead you to bus terminal.
2. Ride in A21 City Flyer Bus, pay using Octopus card or you can in cash.
3. Alight at stop 13 or stop 14 then from there, look for your hotel.
ITINERARY FOR 5 DAYS & 4 NIGHTS
If you want to minimize your stay in Hong Kong just like us, you might consider this itinerary below.
Airport to Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car
From airport, we ride a taxi to City Gate. We leave our baggage there. Locker rentals: Small 10hkd/2hours, Large 20hkd/2hrs – Opening hours is 8am-11pm daily. From City Gate walk to Tung Chung MTR, Exit B. Walk around 10 minutes, you will see cable car going to Ngong Ping & Lantau Island.
Booked our package tour via Klook. Inclusion: Roundtrip/Shared/Crystal (for Non-Hong Kong citizen) It costs 1503PHP/pax.
Ngong Ping 360 to Tsi Sham Tsui
From Ngong Ping 360 Cable Car walk to Tung Chung Station, transfer to Tsuen Wan Line. Get off to Lai King then go to TST.
Mirador Mansion to Choi Hung State
Take the MTR and drop off at Choi Hung station on the Kwun Tong line. Take exits C3 or C4. Locate Choi Hung Estate on google maps, and you will arrive in the entrance of a complex of buildings. Search for the Parking Lot and take the stairs up the colourful basketball court is above.
Choi Hung State to Disneyland
From Choi Hung Station transfer to Platform 4 to Whampoa. Get off to Prince Edward, interchange to Tsuen Wan Line Platform 1. Get off to Lai King, interchange to Tung Chung Line at Platform 3 then drop off at Sunny Bay and follow the signs. Transfer to Disneyland Resort train.
By the way, we bought our tickets via Klook for 3568Php – One day general admission.
From TST to Monster Mansion
From Tsim Sham Tsui station transfer to Platform 2 to Central then get off to Admiralty. Transfer to Platform 3 to Chai Wan then get off to Quarry Bay.Take exit A MTR and walk along King’s Road towards Tai Koo. After walking pass the junction to Mount Parker, you will reach the entrance to Montane Mansion.. It only takes 5 minutes to get there.
From Quarry Bay to Ocean Park
From Quarry Bay transfer to Platform 2 to Kennedy Town. Drop off at Admiralty. Then transfer to South Island Line at Platform 5/6 to South Horizons. Get off to Ocean Park.
We booked our ticket via Klook for 2527PHP. Inclusions: 1 day ticket admission plus free kiosk meal combo.
From TST to Avenue of Stars/Symphony of Lights
Walking distance from Tsi Sha Tsui Station. Take Exit E and cross the road. Follow the signs. Symphony of stars show starts at 8pm.
From Mirador Mansion to Hongkong Cultural Center
Walking distance from Tsi Sha Tsui Station. Take Exit E and cross the road.
From TST to Mongkok (Pasalubong)
Take the Tsuen Wan Train to Mongkok Station. Take the B2 or B3 Exit. This is where you can buy cheap pasalubong just like chocolates, shoes and souvenirs.
From Mirador Mansion to Peak
We booked via Klook for as low as 504php/pax. Inclusions of peak tram RT plus skypass ticket. Location of their pick up is at Central MTR station Exit K. You must be there 15minutes prior your selected time.
Hong Kong CHINA Ferry Terminal
Bus Location: along Canton Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
By ferry: The most recommended way to go in Macau from Hong Kong. It takes about 1 hour by ferry boat. The one-way fare is about 210 HKD. Better to booked in Klook ahead of time for discount price
We stayed in Zayne Homestay near in Jardin Lou Lim Ioc Bus Station.
From Jardin Lou Lim Ioc to Parisian Macau
From Jardin Lou walk to Victory Garden. Take route 25 towards Vila De Coloane. Alight after 10 stops, get off to Sands Cotai Central then walk to Parisian Macau.
From Parisian Macau to Ruins of St.Paul
From Parisian Macau walk to Est. do Istmo/Parisian. Take route 26 towards Bacia Norte do Patane. Alight after 19 stops then get off to Luis Camoes Square. Then walk to Ruins of St.Paul
From Ruins of St.Paul to Senado Square
You can walk from Ruins of St.Paul to Senado Square. It will take you 5-10 minutes only.
WHERE TO EAT IN HONGKONG & MACAU?
If you are staying in Nathan Road, there are a lot of restaurants, fast food chain and street foods that suits your budget. There are Jollibee, Mcdo, Pizzahut, Starbucks, Milktea stalls nearby. If you want to try their local foods, visit One Dimsum in Tung Choi Street, Prince Edward, Mongkok and Cafe De Royal near at Tsim Sham Tsui area.
In Macau, there are lot of restaurants and MCDO available anywhere. If you are going to Ruins of St.Paul, I highly recommend to eat at Amore Italiano. The chef there is Filipino and at the same time they offer Filipino foods. You can search the place in google maps.
1. Here’s the useful app that you can use for your travel. For Hong Kong, download the MTR mobile app. For Macau, download the Citymapper and Macau Easy Go app. You can also downlod the XE Conversion.
2. Foods in Disneyland at Ocean Park are very expensive. If you are going to eat there for lunch, specially in Disneyland, you will going to pay more or less 1000php/pax for 1set meal. So, I suggest bring your own water and snack just cover it with your clothes inside your bag (just like what I did lol) Luckily, we got our ticket in Ocean Park with free kiosk meal.
3. Make sure to pay exact MOP 6 when you are in Macau. They will not give you exchange.
4. You can also bring cup noodles and snack before you leave Philippines specially if you are traveling with kids. Their foods are slightly pricey.
5. If you are looking for affordable shoes just like Nike, Adidas, Lacoste and etc. do not forget to visit City Gate!
6. The unused value of Octopus Card and deposit is refundable to any MTR station.
7. If you want to enjoy your travel, do not compute!
I promise to my readers that I’ll be transparent when it comes to my expenses. So, here’s the expenses.
If you have any questions, feel free to comment below. Please, do not forget to me on social media accounts: